All about hair care products
Everyone's hair is different, which means every hair care routine will be different as well. Choosing the right products for your hair type is important, but you have to think beyond simply thick or thin, oily or dry. Many of us have challenging hair care situations, or need more information to help us choose the right products. Just a few of these situations are listed below:
- African American hair care. African American hair can be prone to breaking and dryness, so limiting washing to twice a week or so can be helpful. A deep conditioner is a must to rehydrate the hair. In general, avoid the blow-dryer and flat iron as much as possible, and avoid products with alcohol. Leave-in conditioners or moisturizing smoothing cream can help control frizz and shape the hair.
- Anti-aging hair care. Aging hair tends to look coarse, yet flat, and it may lose its shine. Your hair may also thin out as you age. Just like you can buy anti aging creams for your skin, you can buy anti-aging hair care products. These products combine volumizing formulas with deep conditioners, so hair comes out fuller and more hydrated. Some also contain tints to help emphasize your natural color.
- Natural hair care. Natural hair care is becoming a hot trend due to concern over the environment and over the health risks of some ingredients in certain hair care products. Natural hair care products contain organic or eco-friendly ingredients derived from plants and minerals that are actually beneficial in keeping your hair healthy and shiny.
Hair Care Medication
Hair care medication is something many people don't fully understand. There are different types of hair care medications, each designed to tackle a different issue surrounding hair. While these are not necessarily "cures" for the condition, they can help restore hair or prevent further damage.
- Hair care supplements. Vitamin and mineral supplements can aid in the growth of strong, healthy hair. Vitamins A, C, E, B3, B6 and B12 are ideal, but a good multivitamin or mineral supplement may be beneficial as well.
- Hair loss medication. Medications such as Rogaine and Propecia claim to increase the size of shrunken hair follicles to increase the growing phase of hair and stimulate hair growth in balding areas.
It's important to note that many hair care medications are not yet fully tested. Be sure to consult your doctor before taking any medication or starting any supplement program.